Newly created Ultra Trail Whistler by UTMB to welcome runners on September 28-29, 2024, offering distances of 100km, 50km and 25km
Priority Registration for UTMB Index holders opens October 30 at whistler.utmb.world
The UTMB® World Series is heading to Canada for the first-time next year, with the confirmation that the breathtaking alpine playground of Whistler and the surrounding Sea-to-Sky corridor in British Columbia will host a brand-new event, the Ultra Trail Whistler™ by UTMB® on September 28-29, 2024. Three race distances of 100km, 50km and 25km will take runners on a journey that highlights the best of Whistler and its surrounding trails. Priority Registration opens for UTMB Index holders on October 30, 2023, with General Registration opening November 1 at whistler.utmb.world.
The Ultra Trail Whistler by UTMB event has become the milestone 40th event confirmed for the 2024 UTMB World Series, and the eighth event in North America. Further event announcements are still to come for next year, as the global circuit strives to give runners across the globe the chance to find a UTMB event closer to them.
A world-class, all-seasons destination Whistler Blackcomb is a permanent fixture on bucket lists around the world appealing to both discerning travellers and lovers of outdoor sports. Runners at the Ultra Trail Whistler by UTMB races will not only experience epic glacier views, flowing creeks, and plenty of technical terrain, but a range of accommodation, food, and activities within the legendary resort.
“We are thrilled to serve as co-host of the Canadian stop on the UTMB® World Series circuit,” said Whistler Blackcomb COO Belinda Trembath. “The world’s best trail runners will get to experience the natural beauty, stunning mountain views, and world-class terrain of the unceded territories of the Squamish Nation and Lil’wat Nation – something our community is fortunate to be able to do every single day.”
Across three distances, the event challenges runners to tap into their inner strength to conquer the Fitzsimmons Mountain Range. The 100km queen-race packs nearly 5,000 meters (16,273ft) of elevation gain while the 50km course will test runners’ endurance as they take on over 3,300 meters (11,020ft) of elevation, with the 25km offering a challenge over 1,500 meters (5,036ft) of elevation. Runners will explore deep evergreen forest, stunning mountain lakes, and high alpine vistas as they take on the varied terrain and soak in the reward of alpine meadows, mountaintop views, and the satisfaction of crossing the finish line.
Race Director Christine Cogger said: “I am excited to welcome runners from around the world to experience the playground that is Whistler Blackcomb and the Sea-to-Sky trail network. We are grateful for the Lil’wat and Squamish People’s collaboration and use of their beautiful land, and we hope our runners appreciate it as much as we do.”
The Ultra Trail Whistler by UTMB logo was adapted from original artwork by Chief Ray of the Squamish Nation.
With 40 events that are currently confirmed for the 2024 UTMB World Series across The Americas, Europe, Asia, Africa and Oceania, runners around the world have the chance to live the UTMB experience closer to home – and for those who dream to make it to the UTMB World Series Finals, they can collect Running Stones on their journey.
Runners can view the full calendar of events and choose their adventures here.
UTMB® World Series 2024 calendar (as of 26 October 2023)
- Tarawera Ultramarathon by UTMB®, New Zealand (17-18 February 2024)
- Chianti Ultra Trail by UTMB®, Italy (22-24 March 2024)
- Istria 100™ by UTMB®, Croatia (4-7 April 2024)
- Ultra-Trail Ninghai by UTMB®, China (April 2024)
- Desert RATS Trail Running Festival™ by UTMB®, USA (13-14 April 2024)
- The Canyons Endurance Runs™ by UTMB®, USA (26-27 April 2024)
- Amazean Jungle Thailand by UTMB®, Thailand (2-5 May 2024)
- Valhöll Argentina by UTMB®, Argentina (9-12 May 2024)
- Ultra-Trail Snowdonia by UTMB®, UK (10-12 May 2024)
- Ultra-Trail Australia by UTMB®, Australia (18-19 May 2024)
- Trail Alsace Grand-Est by UTMB®, France (17-20 May 2024)
- Mountain Ultra Trail™ by UTMB®, South Africa (24-26 May 2024)
- Trail du Saint-Jacques by UTMB®, France (14-16 June 2024)
- Trail 100 Andorra™ by UTMB®, Andorra (14-16 June 2024)
- Mozart 100™ by UTMB®, Austria (1 June 2024)
- Mauritius by UTMB®, Mauritius (22-23 June 2024)
- La Sportiva™ Lavaredo Ultra Trail™ by UTMB®, Italy (26-30 June 2024)
- Western States™ 100 Endurance Run, USA (29 June 2024)
- Trail Verbier St Bernard by UTMB®, Switzerland (5-7 July 2024)
- Val d’Aran by UTMB®, Spain (3-7 July 2024)
- Eiger Ultra-Trail™ by UTMB®, Switzerland (17-21 July 2024)
- Speedgoat™ Mountain Races by UTMB®, USA (19-20 July 2024)
- Restonica Trail by UTMB®, France (July 2024 TBC)
- Quito Trail by UTMB®, Ecuador (2-4 August 2024)
- KAT100™ by UTMB®, Austria (August 2024)
- Dacia UTMB® Mont-Blanc, France, Italy, Switzerland (26 August – 1 September 2024)
- Julian Alps Trail Run by UTMB®, Slovenia (September 2024)
- Wildstrubel by UTMB®, Switzerland (September 2024)
- Grindstone Trail Running Festival™ by UTMB®, USA (20-21 September 2024)
- Paraty Brazil by UTMB®, Brazil (September 2024)
- Ultra Trail Whistler™ by UTMB®, Canada (28-29 September 2024)
- Nice Côte d’Azur by UTMB®, France (September 2024)
- Ultra Trail Mount Yun by UTMB®, China (September 2024)
- TransJeju by UTMB®, South Korea (October 2024)
- Kodiak Ultra Marathons™ by UTMB®, USA (10-11 October 2024)
- Puerto Vallarta México by UTMB®, Mexico (November 2024)
- Kullamannen™ by UTMB®, Sweden (November 2024)
- Translantau by UTMB®, Hong Kong (November 2024)
- Ultra-Trail Kosciuszko™ by UTMB®, Australia (December 2024)
- Doi Inthanon Thailand by UTMB®, Thailand (December 2024)